Thursday, November 1, 2007

That Didn't Go As Well As I'd Hoped

I know that our concept and idea for this project is a difficult one. It was before, when it was all about risk, and included jaywalkers and such. Now it's even more difficult with the new story we switched to, with sub-themes of free speech, racism, and integrity. Complicated stuff.

However, I thought we would at least be good on technical levels. I can shoot good-looking video - I've done it lots of times before, both here, in VPA Film, and way back in high school. However, the footage we shot of Dani "Before the Inquisition" got torn apart today in class.

Unfortunately, they were right, too! The lighting just wasn't very good. I tried for a low-key, edge-lit look on Dani's face, but my lights were very diffuse, very far away... and very drowned out by the ambient light that was naturally in the room to begin with! If I had given up on my edge-lighting idea, and moved the bare, un-diffused lights closer, I could have overpowered the room lighting and gotten some of the low-key look I wanted. Instead, the video just came out flat and boring looking.

Our story also got vivisected... AGAIN... But right now I'm just bitter that I didn't shoot better video, so I'll discuss the problems in that department some other time...

No comments: